Soaking in the strangeness and joy

 




Open photoOpen photo

I've been spending my days, when I don't have Fulbright meetings, just walking up and down the streets of Athens. It's a big city, and I've only been here six days, so although I've walked for hours each day, I have so much more to explore. And there's a strange feeling that sweeps through me with the late afternoon wind that gusts through the blessedly sunny streets - up until now, I haven't been able to identify it. It's definitely wonder, and beauty, and freedom, but it's more than that. The best word I can give it is "possibility." The sheer scope of what lays ahead of me each day is breathtaking and it is giving me so much joy.

In the time I've been here, I've tasted coffee from at least 10 coffee shops (I've lost count, so I'm starting to tweet short reviews with the hashtag #greekcoffee so that I can find the shops I like again). I've eaten quite a few cookies, and chocolate, and one incredibly intense scoop of dark (what the Greeks call "healthy") chocolate ice cream. Greek "glyka" (sweets) are incredible. And I've also eaten too many main dishes to name - suffice it to say, it's a good thing I'm walking so much :) 

I've been to 3 incredible bookshops, many sweet clothing shops (trying not to buy because luggage space . ..), some useful pharmacies, and the freaking Parthenon!!!

And it's only Day 6.

I have met with my advisor from the University of Patras - a brilliant, lovely woman - and connected with several educators from all over Athens and the surrounding Greek islands and I cannot wait to learn from and collaborate with them. I might even get to teach some lessons!!!

As you can see, the possibilities here are endless. And I know this can happen anywhere. I'm going to make sure I take this feeling back home with me when I return, and find ways to pass it along to my students. 

Kalimera y'all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Greek Spirit

A thread emerges

Tell me your story